Thursday, February 09, 2012

Hair oils and serums

On Ojon Restorative Hair serum

What they say ------> On contact this highly concentrated multi tasking serum fortified with pure Ojon oil, natures hair - repairing golden elixir, plus exotic Rouge Olefiera penetrates the hair shaft to help strengthen weak hair against breakage , fix flyaways and tame frizz. It helps restore brilliant shine and softness to dull, damaged hair. Adds suppleness and manageability

This hair serum, which promised such lovely things on the website, including boosting the properties if a few drops were mixed with the Ojon Damage Reverse Conditioner. As we all know Ojon products are not cheap at all, but I decided to go out and splurge on myself and in essence my hair. The products arrived and the first thing I did was Check the ingredients list. The first ingredient listed in the hair serum is Sweet Almond oil, then a few ingredients down the list I see a few silicone's, Methyl Trimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Dimethicone (Dimethicone is a silicone polymer known for creating a  glassy effect, doesn't rinse off easily if it is not in its water soluble form - Dimethiconol, and if it builds up it eventually dries out hair)  after that I see, Avocado oil, Palm kernel oil, Macadamia seed oil, Jojoba oil, Orange oil, Bergmont oil. Now this hair serum is marketed as being made with pure Ojon oil, not Almond oil and then Ojon oil is somewhere down the ingredients list at #7. The first ingredient listed in a product is in the greatest amount. So in essence this is an "Almond oil serum" with "Ojon oil", some other oils and a few silicones to "fill" the product out. This is not good enough, for £10 I could have gone to my supermarket and bought these oils and made  my own serum, enough to last for an entire year. The packaging says to use before heat styling, ok lets run with this. Avocado oil has a smoke point of over 400 degrees, if you use pure Avocado oil on your hair that right there is your heat protectant,plus Avocado oil is mega full of fatty acids which are great for adding life to your hair.  A bottle of 500ml pure cold pressed Avocado oil at my local shop ---> £5.99 

Next thing in this rant is this Argan oil business. I'v been using Argan oil since 2009, both in products and on its own.  For those of you who have been with me since the beginning of my hair journey, the Biolage Matrix Colourtherapie Products that I used previously, those were Argan oil products and they worked VERY VERY VERY well on my hair. The line consists of a Shampoo, Conditioner, Deep treatment and a hair oil, at the time when I was purchasing the oil it was made from Argan oil and Olive oil. (oils alone noooo silicone's) Fast forward and now everybody and their step cousin has an Argan oil  hair oil. It's the miracle product, that does wonders and parts the oceans. 


On Argan Oil Hair Treatment 

I purchased the Argan oil hair treatment from Proclere Professional, back in September, thinking that in January/February this would be good for moisturizing and sealing my hair. How wrong I was, this is another product which is full of silicone's and additives the packaging says that it is "formulated to rejuvenate and nourish dry damaged hair" the first three ingredient are silicone's, Cyclomethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethiconethe 4th ingredient in Argan oil and the rest ingredients are additives. This oil is in no way moisturizing your hair, which is what alot of persons believe that it does, all silicone's do is coat the hair shaft to give the illusion of smoothness. If you hair is damaged probably from heat styling, this product will not help you, because you should not be using heat tools on your hair anyway. 

Would I repurchase either of these products nope they will be lasting me for a long time.  I will be making my own hair serum to nourish my hair please and thanks.

** These oils are great for styling your hair and adding shine which makes you hair look healthy. I did not buy the Morrocan oil version of the Argan oil because that one too is chuck a block full of silicone's. If I am going to pay for a product full of petrochemicals, I will be purchasing the cheapest petrochemicals I can find, VO5 hair elixir here I come. 

be more product savvy

3 comments:

  1. Indeed, very informative post.

    Sad to say, but I got doped by these so-called “organic” products too before realizing that they were just a teaspoon of organic mixed in with a gallon of harmful chemicals. I have been wanting to buy my own oils to create a hair serum to nourish and moisturize the hair. Do you have a recipe you could recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well trust me you cannot be more upset than I am about that Ojon restorative hair serum. Ah still vex, lol.

    A recipe I would recommend is
    50ml Sweet Almond oil
    50ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    50ml Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

    ** you could Also add 50ml Avocado Oil or 50ml Grapeseed oil.**
    Make sure the oils are organic and cold pressed. Cold pressed ensures that the properties have not been destroyed by heat processing. Try to store the serum in a dark brown bottle.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...