Sunday, June 06, 2010

Summer House Happenin's: Carnival please stay dont go away


I love mas for those of you who don't know I am a first generation Antiguan. Antigua is one of the Caribbean islands and is a twin island state Antigua and Barbuda. During the last week in July and the First week in August. Carnival in Antigua came about as an evolution of the celebration of emancipation.
 A group of businesses got together and decided to put together a week long festival of cultural activities and fifty plus years later carnival is still here. I remember when I was young and Carnival was the height of summer. We waited in earnest for carnival to watch the shows and see the parades. Later on it was a jump up or two. 
Then I played pan with the best Hellsgate Steel Orchestra, in 2001 I played mas for the first time and since then it has been a wrap. In 2009 I played mas with MYST mas troupe and I was home. Myst is my family and my parent will never divorce and leave me without my brothers and sisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...