Monday, August 23, 2010

Summer House happenings: The Public Library of Antigua and Barbuda

 I currently attend university in the United Kingdom. however I have never made it a secret that I intend to move back to the land of my birth, my diamond paradise. Now Today I was just sitting here chilling out before I go start my notes for my economics theory exam and a though assailed me. What is the public library like in Antigua? When I move back home I cannot possible purchase a new book every time I want to read something. So I went on facebook and asked a few of my friends who were online at the time, and no one had an idea most of the responses were along the lines of "I haven't been there in years". This just crushed my pretty much in the same way I  was crushed for the past few summers by the number of people who had not visited the national museum any whoo I digress.

remember a few years ago there was a big hoopla surrounding the new public library which was being constructed. Pity me the fool who was thinking the library was completed. I was informed I will probably die before the library is ever finished, open and operational. A statement was made to me by a friend " I don't know how we are comfortable with not having a library, a proper one" and my response was this  "People in Antigua rather gossip than read, go to the nightclubs and other frivolous events to be seen by people who do not even acknowledge their presence, instead of educating their children, and are too damn happy living in a state of mediocrity rather than  challenge the leaders to do more."  This is why our NEW public library is not finished, however the old public library is  located on market street above lolitas fabric store.

I read not just for school and because I have to read. I read to learn new things, to improve myself, to acquire knowledge and for the sheer love of reading. My people, my fellow Antiguans  there is power in reading, never ever forget that.


A nations wealth is in the intellectual ability of its people, so the people must be educated, the people must be able to read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...